Warm and Sweet Apple Crisp, Made Better with Cool Whip

canstockphoto5051094I live in the Annapolis Valley, the heart of Nova Scotia and the home of millions of apple trees.  Every autumn the apples come in season and pies, crisps and cobblers are on the menu in just about every kitchen.  In the Valley, we know apples.

Each fall I head to my favorite market.  I try my best to buy my produce direct from the farmers when ever I can.  Most of the apples I buy are for eating whole, uncooked.  But when I know I’m going to be cooking my apples, I buy a half bushel of seconds.  They may have a few spots but they still taste just as wonderful as the pretty apples.  And it costs so much less, only $10 a bushel! Very wallet friendly!

Now I love a great apple pie (warm, straight from the oven with some old fashioned vanilla icecream) but pie takes time and planning.  And to be perfectly honest with you, I can’t make a pie crust to save my life.  So instead, I tend to make my favorite Apple Crisp recipe instead.  I love it because I can make it on impulse, and pop it in the oven as we sit down to dinner.  By the time we’re finished eating and cleaning up, dessert is ready!

No two people have the same apple crisp recipe… at least not in my experience.  But if you check out the Kraft Canada website, you will find a few variations, I’m sure that you will find one that works for you. Honestly, mine is thrown together without measurements…without planning, and is different every time. Often I’ll even throw a pear or two in with the apples for added sweetness (Or just to use them up when they’re too bruised up for the kids to willingly much on).  I try to add what ever needs to be used up from my baking cupboard as well.  Most recently, I’ve been using sweatened coconut to the crisp mix.

So what goes in my apple crisp?

My measurements are approximate…

• 8 to 10 apples – peeled and cut.  Enough to fill an 8 X 8 Casserole dish
  • 3/4 cup rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup sweetened coconut
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar + 1 tbsp
  • 1 tsp cinnamon + 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp butter, softened
  • Kraft Cool Whip

Apple Crisp Recipe

Fill the casserole dish with prepared apples, spinkle with  1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.  Set aside.  In a bowl, mix together the remaining incredients.  Mix until it has a clumpy, crumbly texture.  Top the apples with the mixture and place in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.  Top should be crispy and apples should be soft when it is all done.

While it’s still warm, spoon some into a pretty bowl and top it with Cool Whip.  Serve immediately.  It can be kept in the fridge for 2 or 3 days.. if it lasts that long.  Just warm it up before serving!

What would you add to make it your own recipe?

Disclaimer: I am a part of the Kraft What’s Cooking influencers program.  All opinions are my own.

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 StumbleUpon 0 0 Flares ×

Comments

1. OMG! That sounds soooo good! I never thought about adding coconut before. Thanks for the recipe!

Yum Yum Yum I love apple crisp and I also love Cool Whip! Thanks for the recipe!

3. Love new versions of a great classic!

4. loucheryl says:

Apple Crisp is a favourite dessert of mine. So nice on a cold night.

5. Holly MacRitchie says:

what a great fall recipe thanks!

6. Cheryl Almas says:

This sounds great. I don’t think I’d add anything extra to it.

7. Oh this looks amazing! Plus I love cool whip better than whipped cream. So you had me at cool whip!

8. angela september says:

yum yum yum who doesn’t love a delicious apple crisp?!

9. love apple crisp , i will surely be trying this recipe soon ,

Sounds good to me. Apple Crisp is one of my favourite desserts!

oh god i am totally craving this right now!!! apple crisp is a family fav and with it right out of the oven with ice cream on top ??? sooo yummy

12. add some cloves, and it would be decadent.

I love apple crisp and it’s relatively easy to make! Love your version!

14. Apple Crisp has been one of my favourite fall desserts since my grandma used to make it for us, growing up. Yours sounds just as yummy!

15. We all love apple crisp I like the idea of adding the coconut, altho I would put coconut in everything if I could get away with it

16. I love apple crisp but have never tried with sweetened coconut. I love coconut so I will definitely try it out next time I make apple crisp.

17. Florence C says:

Never had apple crisp with coconut. Sound delicious. Thanks for sharing.

18. Julie Wood says:

Oh Yum! I love your Apple Crisp Recipe and I like that it has 3/4 cup sweetened coconut in it. I never thought about having coconut in my Apple Crisp. I am going to make your awesome recipe!

19. alena svetelska says:

Apple Crisp is a favourite dessert was always my favorite….will try it definetly for my daughters bday this sat.

20. Tammy Dalley says:

I love Apple Crisp, thanks for sharing this great recipe

21. Wanda Bergman says:

My husband LOVES apples and I would LOVE to make this for him!

22. Erika Letson says:

I love that you add coconut to your apple crisp. Sounds delicious! I would add chocolate chips to make it my own!

23. I wouldn’t add anything. Maybe caramel on top sometimes. I have not had apple crips since I was a child, this looks soooooo good!

24. Heidi Pawluk says:

Nothing like fresh crisp apples off the tree & in home-made apple pie nothing better

25. I would add some walnuts or pecans, but sounds terrific as is.

26. perfect for a cool fall evening dessert! thanks for sharing the recipe!

27. Apple crisp is a favourite in our home! I love to use Cool Whip as well.

28. Apple crisp is my favorite dessert! I like it with ice cream as well!

29. Sounds wonderful! Apple Crisp is my favorite.

30. Elizabeth Vlug says:

One of my favourite fall desserts. I have never added coconut, so might give that a try. I like to add almonds or walnuts and raisins too.

31. approximate measurements I like that, baking with feeling and love. I can smell the aroma now

32. Birdiebee says:

I love warm Apple Crisp with vanilla ice cream. This is an awesome recipe.

33. Apple crisp is the essence of autumn in one warm, delicious bowl! Looks wonderful!

34. Treen Goodwin says:

ohhh yummy , i love the sound of your recipe , i will def be trying it out , i love apple crisp , thanks for sharing!

35. thanks for sharing this recipe, so easy to make

36. That looks so yummy!

37. Rhonda W G. says:

The added coconut sounds lovely…A personal favourite!

38. Betsy Rubendall Barnes says:

This is a great recipe! To make it my own, I would add a little vanilla flavoring and nutmeg. :)

39. Oooh wish we have taste o vision! lol. This looks scrumptious. Love the touch of coconut that is different and it will add another yum factor. I would add a scoop of french vanilla ice cream to mine. Thank you for sharing.

40. This looks absolutely delicious! I love Apple Crisp in the autumn, when there are so many good, fresh, apples.

41. I would add vanilla ice cream too! :)

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 StumbleUpon 0 0 Flares ×