Super Simple Slip Stitch Dishcloth – Free Knitting Pattern

2K Flares 2K Flares ×

For the last two weeks I have been obsessed with knitting dishcloths.  I don’t know why, I’ve never liked them before, but all of a sudden I’m all about the cotton dishcloths! So, here is the Super Simple Slip Stitch Dishcloth pattern that I came up with quickely one night while searching through a stitch dictionary.

Supplies You’ll Need:Dishcloth 3

• Worsted Weight Cotton Yarn, about 30grams
  • 5mm Knitting needles
  • Darning needle for weaving in ends
  • Scissors

Stitches:

• Slip Stitch
  • Knit
  • Purl
  • YIF (Yarn In Front)
  • YIB (Yarn In Back)

Cast on 37 stitches using the long tail cast on method.

• Row 1: *K1, YIF, SL1, YIB* Repeat to last stitch, K1
  • Row 2: K1, P to last stitch, K1
  • Row 3: K1 * K1, YIF, SL1, YIB* Repeat to last stitch
  • Row 4: K1, P to last stitch, K1

Continue in the above pattern until your washcloth measures square.

Bind of on the purl side. (I bind off in purl stitch, but either purl or knit will make for satisfactory edging)

See, I told you it was super simple!

Dishcloth 1

Craftsy

2K Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 36 Google+ 1 Pin It Share 2K StumbleUpon 0 2K Flares ×

Comments

1. I just finished knitting up a swatch in a similar stitch pattern. In the book I found it in, they called it a Woven stitch. It’s similar to a Linen stitch but more looser. Am loving the stitch you’ve found here though! Am definitely going to have to try it. Thanks for sharing & the pattern too!

2. I am trying to knit; a friend recommended it as a de-stresser. Haven’t been successful thus far, but I will give this a try.

Very pretty. I have some of the cotton yarn for dishcloths so I will have to try this pattern out.

4. I love knitted dishclothes, so does my mother! She was given a very generous pile of them a few years ago, and handed me some. I don’t like using any others now. They have become a little worn tho….

Love this set you have pictured. Almost makes me want to take up knitting!

5. Heidi c. says:

I am going to pass this on to my mom. She loves knitting her own dishcloths.

6. SueSueper says:

These are nice, wish I knew how to knit. I can crochet simple patterns.

My mom left a ton of yarn after she passed away, so I’m going to give these a go. I’m not a great knitter, but I can do it if I try! Thanks

• Patricia says:

Knitting dishcloths is the best way to relax and practice a new skill. As you get better you should be able to finish one in an hour to an hour and a half. Great for quick gifts too. Enjoy your new hobby.

8. I’ve used several of the knit-picky patterns. I’ve probably knit well over 1,000 dishcloths, using mostly the diagonal garter stitch pattern. However, I find it fun to try some of these simple patterns. I will try this one this week. I’ve been knitting for at least 70 years and have made dozens of afghans and sweaters. Now I prefer to do these simple patterns that require very little concentration. I take my needles to meetings, to work at the switchboard, and while riding distances in the car. Knitting is keeping my fingers nimble.

9. 52 year old bachelor son is getting married and I will try this one. Have knitted several others dishcloth patterns.
    Remember during WW2, my mother knitting gun mittens for the Red Cross. and I learned to knit when I was probably 6. Knitting is such a stress reliever. I love to try new stitches. Have to decide on my colors now.

10. What do Sl1 mean

11. Norma Tanner says:

I’m ready to start and not quite sure what Y1F and Y1B means.

• YIF = Move yarn to the front as if you were going to purl.

YIB = Move yarn to the back as if you were going to knit.

• I always make a mess of tying up loose ends when finished. Any easy suggestions

12. Norma Tanner says:

I’m ready to start and not quite sure what Y1F and Y1B means.

13. Louanne B says:

I used to make these and lost the pattern. Thank you for sharing!

Thanks for the pattern! Simple patterns are great for a quick project!

15. I love this pattern, it has been 46 years since i have done any knitting, and that was not a whole bunch. Had to stop because of wrist problems and trigger fingers. Really was trying to find a way to either save this or print but see no link, would love for you to tell me how i could keep this. Would like to try doing a few dish clothes for gifts and for myself. I really do not do much with FB and not to swift with the computer stuff anyway.
    Thank you and God bless .

16. Frustrated. Wanted to print pattern, but only way to do it was to use the file command and ended up printing 6 pages with all the reviews, which I did not need hard copies of, to get the pattern. Stupid, and ecologically, very unsound.

17. Is there something wrong w/ this pattern!! Row 3 never matches up. Is it supposed to be the same as row1?

• It is not the same as row 1. You’ll notice the * is in a different place.

Row 1: *K1, YIF, SL1, YIB* Repeat to last stitch, K1
      Row 2: K1, P to last stitch, K1
      Row 3: K1 * K1, YIF, SL1, YIB* Repeat to last sitch, K1
      Row 4: K1, P to last stitch, K1

Basically, you’re doing a K1 before you start the repeat on row three.

18. Jen, on row 3 you don’t do two knits as a repeat do you?

• HI Kim, on row 3 you knit the first stitch, then (K1, YIF, SL1, YIB)<--this is what you repeat. When you come to the last stitch, you knit it.

19. Tammy J Alloway says:

How did you get the color green in the cloths

20. Martha Fleming says:

I love making different dish cloths and for our church bazaar they are big sellers and I also add the in the baskets of my preserves that I make up,

21. How do you add the color, and on what row??? Mary

22. Jean Bokenfohr says:

When you slip the stitch, is it done purlwise or knitwise?

23. Hi, please re-clarify: on April 21, you mention to slip without knitting but then on May 31, you mention purl wise.
    Please help and much love xo

Trackbacks

1. Dehuj Blog says:

Super Simple Dishcloths Crochet

[…] PR friendly blog.  You can learn more about me and my family in the About Me s […]