Zucchini Noodles AKA Zoodles! BEST Spaghetti EVER! #WhatsCooking

Have you ever looked at the portion sizes for spaghetti.  I promise you it’s not what you think it is…well, maybe it is..but it’s not what I thought it is.  I’m the girl who loves to sit down to a plate full of spaghetti.  I’m talking lots and lots and lots of noodles covered in a delicious meat sauce.  Then covered in cheese, topped with Kraft Parmesan cheese.  Spaghetti isn’t just a meal for me…it’s an event!

So when I learned what an actual portion of spaghetti was…I may have sobbed.  I love my food, but I want to be healthy!  I just couldn’t go on living life ignoring the reality that overloading on the pasta was ok.  So instead I set out on a mission to find out what I could do to ramp up my most favorite dinner of all.  And I think I’ve found the answer.

Zucchini

It grows in abundance where I live, and most often this time of year you can’t give it away…everyone had it growing in their garden and are trying to get it used up!  FYI, zucchini relish is delicious as well.  Actually, just about all if the zucchini recipes I’ve ever tried has been delicious.  What’s even better… it’s good for you.  VERY low in calories so you can essentially add as many zucchini noodles to your single portion of regular noodles as you want to boost up your plate.

So…here is how I make Zucchini noodles…or Zoodles.

First of all grab yourself a bunch of zucchinis.  This is actully a great time to use those really big ones from the garden.  Get yourself a tool that looks like this:

WP_20140626_001

I’m going to be honest with you…I have no idea what this particular attachment to my grater is called. (If you know, please let me know in a comment!)

Then, you want to grate your zucchini lenthwise in long motions…this is what creates the zoodles.

WP_20140626_17_11_14_Pro

You’ll want to stop when you reach the seeds.  They’re not useful for this particular recipe.

WASTE NOT WANT NOT! – Throw those seed/cores into a freezer bag and keep them in the freezer for the next time you make homemade soup!

Cook your spaghetti as per the package directions…cook the zucchini noodles separately, I just put them in a large frying pan with a bit of salted water and cooked them for about 6 minutes until they were tender.

Mix the zucchini noodles with your pasta noodles and plate them!

zucchini noodles

Then top your noodle mixture with your favorite pasta sauce and protien!  So yummy, and really good for you!

How to make zucchini noodles

So, here is my quesiton for you… What kind of sauce would you top your noodle/zoodle mixture with?

22 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 3 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 19 StumbleUpon 0 22 Flares ×

Comments

1. NJ @littleluckeh says:

Ha! I happen to have 4 zucchini needing to be used. I am going to try this

2. So I just spent a bunch of money on a spiralizer so I could make these, and then I see this post. I HAVE THAT DEVICE haha.

I can’t wait to try this.

3. either a homemade cheese sauce or a tomato one, but I wouldn’t add Zucchini as I really really don’t like it

4. I would top it with a creamy mushroom sauce. This is a great way to add the vegetables into the main course so as you know your kids are getting their quota for the day.

5. I have been looking for a spiralizer and am sooo happy I saw this post and realize I don’t need one. I would top it with a lemon sauce I just learned to make while vacationing in Greece. Perfect for zucchini noodles.

6. Oh what a great way to cook with zucchini! I usually grade it and use it in muffins etc.

7. This actually sounds pretty yummy and healthy!

8. Very cool!! A nice spiced sharp cheese sauce would go famously well with your zoodles I think, though I would have to switch out the spaghetti noodles for something like elbow pasta, ’cause I can’t do cheese with spaghetti for whatever reason, lol. I don’t have that grater at home, but now I’m thinking I need one! ;)

9. I’d top it off with a Marinara.I love zucchini, so I really need to try this!

10. LILLIAN BROWN says:

want to try this

11. DARLENE W says:

I use green or multi coloured pasta to change the dish up once in a while. The Pasta you created looks so good. I would serve it up with a alfredo sauce

12. Florence C says:

Thanks for sharing. This is a great idea. I love using zucchini in recipes.

13. This is the perfect way to get the kids to eat more veggies! thank you Jen!

14. Kimberly B says:

I love zucchini noodles and I usually top them with pasta sauce but they are really good with alfredo sauce too!

15. LOVE the idea! Great way to incorporate more veggies into every day eating :)

16. A spiralizer is on my Christmas list! I have yet to try zoodles but would love to!!

17. Any chance to add fibre I certainly would also this would make awesome zucchini bread!

18. I would like to have one of these perhaps some hints would hep

19. Lynda Cook says:

These look really good and I love the idea of mixing them in with the regular noodles, so no one knows..lol

20. Oh this looks yummy!

oh wow i need to try this!!! it looks absolutely delicious. never tried anything like this before

22. What a great idea! Im defiantly going to try this. Thank you :)

I would top it with marinara sauce but I am not sure that my family would be fooled – zucchini is not something that goes over well in this house :(

24. Erika Letson says:

So cool! What a great and healthy way to use up zucchini, which always seem to grow in abundance in the garden!

25. kayla schmitke says:

Looks so yummy! Too bad hubby ( or my toddler ) would never eat it!

26. I would top with a tomato meat sauce. Yum! I didn’t know that’s what that attachment on my grater was for!

27. Looks delicious and healthy, I may go with another sauce for this dish.

28. Nothing better than a home-made red sauce using fire-roasted tomatoes as base! Thanks for the combo idea!

29. I keep meaning to try this. It would be much healthier, and I know I would love the taste.

30. that is slick.
    I want one!

31. Wayne Lecoy says:

I liked your Zucchini Noodles AKA Zoodles! BEST Spaghetti EVER! #WhatsCooking post.
    I am going to have to make Zucchini noodles.
    I never would have thought of this.
    Thanks for sharing.

32. Jane Reid Gray says:

What a great idea I would top with my homemade pesto mmmm

33. i would use my homemade pasta sauce! What a great idea using the zucchini! thank you

34. That is so neat that the attachment came with your grater! I’ve been seeing the spiralizer a lot but that thing is very big and bulky! I ‘m glad to hear and see that the attachment works the same so I might buy one of those instead!

35. Cassie Fancy says:

Great way to get veggies in your kids bellies

36. Interesting. I should try this.

37. Looks good

38. this would be perfect for the kids to eat the veggies without a fight :) awesome

39. Valerie Darsigny says:

wow never thought to do that and we love zucchini… ok I will try them next time as a side dish with a little bit of butter and garlic yummy

40. Kelly Gordon says:

I would top this with my homemade spaghetti sauce.MMmmmmmmm looks soon good :D

41. Debbie Bashford says:

interesting, I often get tired of using it in the traditional ways, and this is fun!

42. Brenda Lacourciere says:

Great idea. Glad I read this.

43. Terry Denis Perron says:

Great idea to get extra veggies on the plate love Zucchini

44. yummm….I love zucchini and never thought of trying this…thanks for the great idea!

45. wonderful! I would love to try zoodles. :)

46. I would top this with olive oil with sauteed onions and anchovies and some hot pepper flakes.

47. I like to make homemade spagetti sauce with Yves ground round. I also add peppers,celery,onion,cilantro and fresh puree tomatoes from the garden. I also shred carrot and zucchini to add spinach or kale to get my greens daily!

48. Jen Conlin says:

Now this is Brilliant and would work well with my Gluten Free Diet!! Thanks

49. Kelly Martel says:

Thanks for the reminder as I bought a spiral zucchini noodle maker. Now to make a nice homemade meat sauce.

50. Amy Lovell says:

This looks divine! I woulod use it in place of normal noodles for spaghetti!

51. It looks good want to try this.

52. I will be making this on the weekend. Thanks so much!

53. Yum, this is making me hungry!

54. I have never had zucchini noodles, but this sure looks good, need to try it.

Thanks for sharing.

55. Jeff Skidmore says:

Might try pesto with this! Thanks for the great healthy ideas!

56. kim heintz says:

Wow, that looks amazing. And such a great, healthy idea. I bet my son would love this just because it’s green ;)

57. I think I would go with a sauce with lots of veggies…mushrooms, broccoli, etc. :)

58. I would love to try this recipe!

This sounds delicious!! I want that tool!!

60. I would have never though of using zucchini to make noodles! I would top it with a fresh chunky vegetable and tomato sauce

61. A nice alfredo sauce would be so great with these zoodles! But mom’s homemade tomato sauce would be yummy too!

62. Marie S says:

I love zucchini and what a great way to incorporate it in many homecook meals