Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup

Have you ever tried to make your own cream soups?  I promise, it’s not as hard as you may think.  Making soup is simply the task of adding flavour to liquid!  Today I’m going to share with you one of my favourite soups, Cream of Mushroom, but made at home with Carnation® Evaporated Milk…rather than the store bought that I’m used to.

First of all, where there is soup, there is flavour.

Chop garlic and onions and cook them in butter at a medium temperature until they’re transparent.  Usually about five minutes.

WP_20141029_19_13_18_Pro

While they are becoming warm and flavourful, you can chop up your mushrooms…what is mushroom soup without an abundance of mushrooms?

WP_20141029_19_14_22_Pro

Add the mushrooms to your pot and continue to cook them for a few minutes.  Add in your water or stock and let it boil until the mushrooms are fully cooked and tender.

WP_20141029_19_18_56_Pro

Use an immersion blender to puree everything in the pot.  Not only does this help thicken the soup, but it makes those mushroom pieces small and perfect for a soup.  It also helps to avoid big chunks of onion and garlic from step one.

Add salt and pepper to taste and let the flavors all stew together while reducing your liquid.

WP_20141029_19_40_42_Pro

Next, add some Carnation® Evaporated Milk and turn your soup into a creamy delight!  I choose Carnation® Evaporated Milk because it is so easy to use.  Since it has less water than regular milk, it doesn’t dilute the flavors and it is also available in Carnation® Regular, 2% or Fat Free Evaporated Milk. It is a staple in my kitchen and we use it in so many recipes!  Super delicious in fudge recipes!

WP_20141029_19_43_37_Pro

If you’re looking for some creamy soups to add to your dinner time sandwich, I recommend you check out the recipes at the Carnation® Evaporated Milk website.

CarnationLogo

Although this post has been generously sponsored by Smucker Foods of Canada Corp. and they sent me free product samples, the opinions and language are all my own, and in no way do they reflect Smucker Foods of Canada Corp.

9 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 2 Google+ 2 Pin It Share 5 StumbleUpon 0 9 Flares ×

Comments

1. Mmmmmm that looks so good, I could go for a bowl of that right now on this snowy day!!

2. Jeff Skidmore says:

Looks yummy and seems easy to make! I’m in!!

3. I just crave bowls of homemade soup when the weather cools down.. Cream of mushroom is one I have never tried my hand at making yet – but it looks delicious :) Thank you for sharing

4. Erica Seaman says:

Oh, this looks so tasty, must give it a try :)

5. Stephanie LaPlante says:

This is one soup I haven’t tried yet.

This soup looks so good! We love Cream of Mushroom soup in our family, but I’ve never made it from scratch before! Thanks for the recipe!

7. I love cream of mushroom soup but have never tried to make it. I am definitely going to try your recipe.

I have never even considered making this soup from scratch! I love it though!

That looks so good, going to try it out next week when my Dad visits he loves homemade soups!

10. I make cream soups all of the time but I never thought to use a can of evaporated milk. Great idea.

11. thomas rusinak says:

i am makin this for sure

12. Bailey Dexter says:

Wow, this looks perfect! I usually buy the can soup, but after reading the post, I will be making this this week. Thanks!

13. Virginia Buck says:

MMM ……………….homemade is so much better.

14. I love mushroom soup and now that the weather turned cold it’s time to get the recipes out for homemade soup

15. Amy Lovell says:

I love mushroom soup! This recipe looks so easy thanks

16. I love cream of mushroom in the wintertime, such a cozy meal!! Great recipe :)

17. This looks so good. Love Cream of Mushroom soup but have never tried to make my own. I will give this recipe a try.

18. This looks great!

this looks so delicious! best thing is my hubby hates mushrooms so MORE FOR ME :)

20. I could go for this, but I don’t think my daughter would. Her favourite is the canned variety and she doesn’t like change too much.

21. Looks good, I love mushrooms. :-)

22. This looks good and I’m sure it’s tastier than the canned variety I usually buy. I make a cream of potato soup that my family enjoys that’s really easy. Cream soups are the best!

23. This soup looks and sounds delicious and I will make it for my husband who loves cream of mushroom soup.

24. Cristal Van Esch says:

Anything that can give us new ideas for traditional yummy ideas is great!

25. Karen Thaeter says:

I will certainly try this one! we love soup.

26. Soup looks great, will need to try this recipe, wonder if it could be done in a crock pot?

27. Debbie Welchert says:

It sounds and looks really yummy. I am amazed how easy the recipe is to make. I love soups and this is definitely one I will have to make.

28. This looks easy and yummy! Probably way better for you than the canned stuff!

29. I’ve been making all of our soups from scratch for years. I like being able to control the amount of sodium in the soup – we can’t stand canned ones now, they seem way too salty.

30. Holly Messana says:

Oh yummy, my grandfather used to make homemade mushroom soup, I never even tried it, didn’t eat mushrooms back then. I will have to make my own now that I love mushrooms.

31. This looks so delicious!

32. This homemade cream of mushroom soup looks really delicious and way more enticing than the mushroom soup in the cans. Homemade soups like this one are so comforting especially when the weather turns colder.Thanks for sharing this with us.

33. Tara Gauthier says:

I love mushroom soup and this looks so simple and easy! Thanks for sharing.

34. I found this at the perfect time – I am going to try to make it this weekend – looks fabulous !!!

35. that looks so great -certainly would be healthier than the processed soups

36. that looks really good

37. just the thing for a cold winter’s night

38. kathy downey says:

Oh, this looks so delicious, must give it a try :)

39. kathy downey says:

I love Cream of Mushroom soup,thanks for the recipe

40. Amy Lovell says:

Yum! Sounds delicious thanks!!

41. Have always wanted to try to make a cream of mushroom soup. thanks for the recipe.

42. Laurie P says:

I’ve always wanted to try and make this myself…..my guys would love it!

43. josephine evans says:

Wow! Seems like a pretty forward recipe. Never thought to make this but I want ot now! Looks so good!

44. Elizabeth Matthiesen says:

this sounds really good and easy to make. I love my soups and mushrooms so I will be trying this one out. Thanks for the tip on the Carnation® Evaporated Milk website too :-)

45. Looks yummy!

46. I would love to try this, as the canned versions of creamed soups always have ingredients I don’t want – I’m excited to try making it!!

47. loucheryl says:

This would be so nice right now.

48. I love mushrooms, I never thought of making my own cream of mushroom soup – this looks soo delish I must try it!

49. I love homemade soups and making them for my family. This one sounds wonderful.

Trackbacks