Banana Bread Day – February 23rd

A day for everything and Banana Bread should have it’s very own week as far as I’m concerned.  One of our favorite treats around this house!  It is a regular item on our meal planner.  How could it not be?  It’s delicious, soft and divine with a little bit of butter spread thin, melting into it.

Bananas are the one fruit that I don’t mind to see go uneaten, as over ripe is the best way to have them when it comes to making banana bread!  When you notice a few bananas on the counter looking like they are about to spoil, just peel them and put them into a Ziploc bag (in 3’s is best as most banana bread recipes call for 3 bananas).  Mark the date on the bag and toss them in the freezer!  They’ll keep that way for about three months.  Then, when it’s banana bread making day I just pull them out of the freezer in the morning and let them come up to room temperature…they are usually ready to go a little after lunch time.   Though I never make just one loaf.  Two loaves and two dozen muffins is what I usually make.  One loaf for now, one for the freezer (cut in half and wrapped up well) and muffins for quick snacks and the lunch box!

banana bread

Some of my favorite variations for banana bread are:

• adding chocolate chips – because chocolate makes everything better!
  • adding walnuts – just remember to not send your nut loaves to school!
  • making muffins instead (or as well as) bread loaves – perfect for the lunch box!
  • sprinkling raw sugar on top of loaves or muffins for a little added sweetness

Banana bread makes a fantastic breakfast, a great snack, a delicious dessert and a fabulous bedtime snack with a cup of hot tea.  I think it’s just about perfect!

What is your favorite time to eat banana bread?  Do you have a favorite recipe?

How will you celebrate National Banana Bread Day on February 23rd?

Disclaimer: I am a part of the Kraft What’s Cooking influencers program.  All opinions are my own.

98 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 9 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 2 StumbleUpon 87 98 Flares ×

Comments

1. I love banana bread! Now you’ve inspired me to make some…thank you! ;-)

2. Yumm! I love banana bread! When the girls were little we froze bananas almost daily lol

3. Banana bread is just such a comfort food. Your recipe looks awesome.

4. Judy C (Judy Cowan) says:

Love Banana Bread, now you have me wanting to go bake some!!!

5. Darlene Schuller says:

warm banana bread with butter… yummy! I don’t like chunks of banana in my banana bread, this looks fab!

6. I love banana bread when it is still warm, or for breakfast.

7. I absolutely love banana bread!!!!

8. Darlene Schuller says:

I wanted to let you know I made this last night.. and it’s better then the recipe I had so yay! Thank you !!

I love banana bread! I always put an extra banana or two to make the loaf extra moist, and love adding chocolate chips as well!

10. We have some ripe bananas on the counter. I know what I’ll be doing tomorrow!

11. Amy Heffernan says:

Banana bread day! I LOVE it! I always make this for the kids and they love it. I never would have thought to add something like choc chips. Next time i think i will! Thanks.

12. I love making banana bread, I use the Company’s Coming recipe and it has always turned out great. My kids love it and I also like to make muffins too to through in the kids lunches for school or for eating in the car.

13. Doris Calvert says:

I love banana bread, looks so good on the picture I want some, never thought of adding chocolate chips but we add walnuts.

14. I have never made banana bread before but I would love to make it one day.

15. Suzanne G says:

I have made banana bread for years and we just love it. I also love using banana bread to make french toast. It is so delicious.

16. excatly a week for banana bread i love this idea my son loves bread and banana bread is his fav

17. I LOVE Banana Bread. It is my fav! I had NO IDEA there was a Banana Bread Day!! Thank you for the knowledge input!

18. Marti Tabora says:

I love banana bread and especially love the idea of putting some in the freezer for later.

19. I love to eat banana bread as a snack in between meals.

20. I’m such a huge banana bread fan! I just love it with chocolate chips too!

21. JaimeeM says:

i love banana bread, next time i make some im going to add poppyseed and lemon.

22. I usually throw some chocolate chips in my banana bread, and I sprinkle the top with brown sugar before I bake it.

23. Yum! Great recipe to make for the kids too. I would throw some dark chocolate chips in mine. Great with hot tea.

24. Sounds delicious! Thanks! Will def be yummy for a snack at school!

25. Dawn Rader says:

we love banana bread at my house. I love to use the kraft recipe and use miracle whip instead of oil. from time to time I add chocolate chips. The kids love it!

26. Jeff Skidmore says:

I have some bananas that would be perfect for this recipe!! :)

27. great money and time saver tips too. I will enjoy this with my morning coffee.

28. I’m not much of a breakfast person, but I love banana bread.

29. Banana bread is almost a staple here. My mother has one of the best recipes around, and you can always count on a slice or two during a visit!

30. josephine evans says:

I LOVE banana bread! It is pretty easy to make and a favorite in my home. Great recipe. Keep on keepin’ on!

31. loucheryl says:

I love banana bread. I love to add walnuts and chocolate chips sometimes too!