10 Laundry Tips That Will Get Your Laundry Done!

10 Tips Done!

Ever wonder why your laundry is never actually finished?  Why you do load after load but still have laundry hampers and baskets full of folded (or not folded clothes) clothes.  Ever wonder how it was your parents never seemed to have to deal with this.  Here are a few tips that I have compiled (most of them are from my mother) that will help you get your laundry put away, and finished!

10 Tips To Get Your Laundry Done!

1.  Create a system, you can check out mine here, or come up with your own.  Doing all your laundry in one day is unlikely to work (and who wants to devote a whole day to laundry?) If you live in a place where you have power price fluctuations, build your system to avoid peak rate prices.  For me personally, I will be doing laundry Monday through Friday, first thing in the morning.  (As my coffee is brewing, my first load is going in the washer)

2.  Turn all your clothes right side out.  Either while you’re taking them off or as you’re putting them in the washer.  It seems like much less of a chore to fold clothes that are already turned the right way.

3.  Keep a bottle of stain treatment close to where your hamper is.  (Likely in the bathroom out of reach of kids) And another in the kitchen.  Pretreat those stains and you wont end up washing the same top seven times to get that spaghetti sauce out.

4.  Wash like weights of clothes together.  This will help with drying time more than anything.  Denim and heavier fabrics take longer to dry.  Wash them last.  T-shirts and lightweight materials can take half as much time to dry, speeding up the entire laundry process.

5.  Throw a dry towel in the dryer with each load.  Again, speeding up the drying process. (And saving energy)

6.  Turning Folding & Putting away into one step instead of two: Take your clothes to the room they live in to fold them.  Yes, even if it is up two flights of stairs!  Don’t stop half way to fold them, then it’s unlikely they’ll make it to their final destination.  If you fold them in the room they live in, they never go back into the laundry basket!  And, things that are to be hung up, don’t need to be folded at all!

7.  Store away unseasonal clothes.  It’s the beginning of January and I just washed a load of shorts… why?  Because I didn’t pack them away for the winter.  As I took them out of the dryer they went right into a vacuum bag for storage…that’s one less load I’ll have to wash before now and spring!  Storing away things that are just not needed will make that laundry pile shrink!

8.  Read Your Labels.  Many items do not go in the dryer.  I’m thinking knit sweaters, corduroy pants, brand new jeans ect… The dryer can cause a lot of damage and ruin some of your best (and most expensive) clothes.  If it’s not meant for the dryer…do not put it in.  Pants can be hung over a chair or from a clothes hanger with clothes pins (or a drying rack!)  Sweaters should be reshaped and let dry over a few days.  Have a designated spot for this (where the kids don’t go) where they can be air-dried safely.  (Then iron them and put them away!)

9.  Ironing – Pick one day a week to do your ironing.  Set up your ironing board in front of the TV, put your favorite show that you’ve had PVR’d for weeks on and iron away.  Bring hangers with you and hang everything up as it’s ironed.

10.  PURGE! – This is the single best way to make sure you don’t have a giant laundry pile going at all times…get rid of what you don’t love.  Your son does not need 37 T-shirts and your baby has already outgrown that sleeper she wore last week.  If it’s not useful, it’s in the way.  Get rid of it!  Look into local consignment shops where you can drop things off quickly and make a few bucks in the process.

137 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 36 Google+ 1 Pin It Share 36 StumbleUpon 64 137 Flares ×

Comments

1. great tips! I had gotten completely caught up on laundry a few months ago and implemented a system and then we got sick and it piled up again :(

2. I love the idea of vacuum packing clothes when out of season… I also find I am washing those clothes come their season to freshen them! Great tips

3. Great tips! I always fold in one room and I have to admit that some laundry never does make it to its final destination!

4. Angela Mitchell says:

Love the tips. I will have to try the putting a dry towel in the dryer.

5. Elizabeth Matthiesen says:

I too use the vacuum packing tip but mainly for bedding as the feather duvets take up way too much room when not in use. I also use this technique for woollen blankets and quilts when in summer.

6. Need to come up with a better system for my laundry. Need to try putting a dry towel in the dryer to speed things up.

7. stephy905 says:

Thanks for the tips. Ours is never ending.

8. Judy C(Judy Cowan) says:

Great tips, I am definitely going to try the one about throwing a dry towel in each load! That is one I have never heard about before.

9. Great tips and it is time for us to get a new laundry schedule going. Also a towel really helps?! Who knew.

10. I had no idea about throwing in a dry towel into the drying load therefore speeding up the drying process. NICE!

11. my system is to throw everything in a pile. seems to work most times

12. Florence C says:

I am going to try no 5 throwing the dry towel in the dryer. I like the clothes turned right side out but my husband’s socks are always inside out and I am not touching those until they are washed.

13. Great tips! I do a few of them now and it makes life so much easier. Yesterday the kids went back to school for the first time since the New Year started and I did a lot of purging! Out with the old and in with the new!

14. great tips you are very wise thanks

15. I love all of your laundry tips,like washing by weight and so on.I especially like the purge idea because I tend to hang on to my clothes a little too long.Thanks for all of this.

16. Elaine Jasvins says:

Great tips, thanks!

17. I love your tips! Turning the shirts right side out before washing is a good one.

18. Thanks for sharing! I have difficulty with the laundry. Sundays are a nightmare of 6-8loads. Not a fun way to spend the day.

19. Great tips! My washing machine seems to be constantly on the go so anything to smooth the process!

20. Thanks for the great tips , I loved the Throwing a dry towel in the dryer with each load. I never knew this.

21. Christy Martin says:

I too like the idea of throwing in a towel with each load. I used to do this when I had dark towels, good reason to go buy a couple cheap ones, just for the dark load! I would love to be the master of all stains, but never remember what I need to do for each type!

These are such great tips!! I can’t wait to try them out this weekend!

23. Lian Wright says:

I loved Point #5, and my partner, he does Point #6! Thanks for sharing all of you great laundry tips!

24. I love doing laundry – please don’t hate me! lol. I thought I was the only one that obsessively turned the clothes right side out before putting them in the washer. (except for the printed shirts – the logos last longer if you wash and dry them inside out) I didn’t know the dry towel tip – I’m so trying this next time I do laundry – which will be soon I’m sure ;)

25. Cheryl Grandy says:

My biggest problem with laundry is putting it away after it’s folded, because my drawers are too full. I definitely need to get rid of some stuff!

26. Andrea Rust says:

Those are some great tips, some of them I have picked up over the years.

27. Laundry is my least favorite chore. These tips will be a help thanks

28. I hate doing laundry

29. Great tips – if only I could get my daughter to purge..I think she may have hoarding tendencies. =(

30. I am forever purging our clothes. I don’t even know where they all come from it seems like there is enough for a family triple our size. Turning the clothes right side out after you take them off right away is a big time saver too.

31. I had never heard of the towel in the dryer trick! Great tip!

I detest folding!

32. Thank you for the great laundry tips.This was a very inspiring review for me as I have loads of laundry every week.I really like your tip about tossing in a dry towel into the dryer.I just never thought to do that!!!!

33. I have a rack for drying clothes and I put my towels on it and sit it in front of the gas fireplace and save some money by not using the dryer. I have a clothesline I use in the better weather.

34. Tricia Hope says:

Thanks for your easy to incorperate tips!Will apply them this morning(because today is laundry day) I remember watching my Grandma do the laundry as a child.Thursday was her day and she used a wringer washer and hung everthing on the line until she 87.That year she fell on the icy step outside

35. The biggest hindrance I have to doing laundry is that I currently live in an apartment building (7th floor) and have to travel to the first floor to do laundry. But all that changes next month when we move into our new home, and the laundry is on the main floor.

Trackbacks

1. […] books.  Start listing what needs to be done both on a business level and personal.  Housework, laundry, articles, blog posts…. as a work at home mom, no matter how much I try to separate work from […]

2. […] My hubby – he took on the basement.  THAT alone was a job and a half.  That’s where he builds his guitars and fish tanks – so there is lots of stuff there too.  It’s an unfinished basement, so it’s hard to make it look pretty.  But he did a great job of tidying it up.  And keeping me going on my laundry monster. […]