Old Dresser, New Dresser

So, we have this old dresser. I am sure you all have a piece of furniture like this. Travels well, never fails. From your bedroom, to your dorm room, to your apartment, to your house…. Maybe its a chair, a bookshelf or a desk. Ours is a dresser. It’s only been “ours” since the apartment stage of our life, before that, it was my husbands. It has more than served its purpose in all of the roles it has filled; clothing storage, toy storage, craft supply storage and its current job, a vanity in our bathroom.
I recently decided (spur of the moment, last second) that our bathroom needed a revamp. A little spruce up. However, I barely have time to use the bathroom let alone completely renovate it. So I settled  on a quick change…. New shower curtain, towels, organizing baskets. Great… Almost. Until I decided to check out Pinterest (insert horror movie scream).
My mind was a buzz with a million different “cheap and easy” upgrades. Then I saw it. Two of my favourite words in the english language. Modge Podge. Can I get a Hallelujah?   Why hadn’t I thought of it on my own? I was going to turn this ho hum, hand me down, $20 dresser into a glorious work of Modge Podged ART!!!!
I rushed to the nearest craft supply store (Michaels) and found the perfect paisley print paper in shades of teal, turquoise and granny smith g (nine at 99 cents each). Then I located my Hard Coat Modge Podge ($13.49), I had no idea that there were soooo many varieties. I settled on the Hard Coat type because the bottle said it was for furniture.
Next stop was Home Depot, where after at least half an hour of flip flopping back and forth I settled on a brushed nickel knob (six at $2.49 each) to finish off my project.
Mod Podge Dresser

It really was an easy project. I sanded (by hand) the front of the drawers, to get rid of any bumps or ridges, then wiped off the dust with a damp rag. I used a craft sponge to apply a thin coat of the modge podge to the drawer, then placed the paper on, trimming all the edges. I did this to all three drawers and then did a slightly thicker coat on top. Super easy. I let it dry for twenty four of the  l o n g e s t hours and then put another coat of the Modge Podge on. Once again, let it dry for twenty four l o n g hours. Then I let my very handsome, handy and cooperative husband take over. He did the measuring, drilling and attaching of the hardware.
Then, seriously, I sat on my sons stepper for half an hour just looking at it. I am soooo in love with it. I cringe to think that I was going to throw it out in the fall clean up.
Go out, buy some Modge Podge and GO NUTS!!!! Modge Podge will change your life.
Yours,
Modge Podgingly,
Natalee
3 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 1 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 2 StumbleUpon 0 3 Flares ×

Comments

1. Wendy Lange says:

Great job ~ it looks wonderful and love the colour!

2. Very nice! It looks awesome!

3. Karen Evans says:

Wow!! You did a good job. :)

4. Love re purposing anything, and you did a great job.

5. Wow! that looks amazing. Love how it changed the dresser completely.

That looks great! Good job on recycling!

7. Love the new look of the dresser! Great idea!

8. Judy C (Cowan) says:

Great jobs, it looks really nice! Want to do over my dresser now?

9. Great job, it looks fabulous. Isn’t there satisfaction when you are done?!

10. Darlene Schuller says:

wow!! Wonderful job! I love DYI, but I’m not a creative or imaginative person in that sense in anyway, thank you for sharing.

11. judy gardner says:

looks great! i love to use modge podge when making crafts

Your “new” dresser looks fantastic! Great job!

13. Amy Heffernan says:

Really good job. We also have done this in the past. :D Very great way also to add a personal touch espically for the kiddies rooms.

14. Adorable! I wish I was as talented as you.

15. Elizabeth Matthiesen says:

you did a great job on the old dresser, it doesn’t look like the same piece of furniture now. Congratulations on a job well done :-)

16. Looks great ,I wish I have thought of doing something like this with one of our old dressers. But we gave it to family.

17. Neat Idea. I’ve done similar with dressers before with old Ikea stuff (which I don’t and won’t own anymore) but I couldn’t fathom doing it with a nice old antique wood. I cringe when I see antiques painted.

18. I hate to admit it, but when I see old dressers at the curb I visualize these type of makeovers. Sometimes I scoop them up and redo them. They become wonderful pieces of furniture again.

19. Love this! I used to paint with acrylic paint for fun on my old dresser.

20. Candice Taylor says:

Such a cute idea!

21. JaimeeM says:

Very well done, love the colour and design

22. I did the same thing with old dressser, except I got rid the drawers and left shelfs and added to doors to make an armoire for all my jeans!

23. I love redoing thing and repurposing them, good job, looks nice

24. Well done! I love giving new life to furniture, especially shelves and drawers. I’m actually going to be refinishing a dresser for my girl this summer….

25. I love refinishing old furniture – it came out cute and fun for a little one!

Trackbacks