DIY – How To Turn A Picture Frame Into A Whiteboard

DIY White Board

As you know I’ve been re-designing my home office, and on a very tight budget of $100.  I am thrilled to report that I still have a little more than $20 left in my budget and my room is already fantastic!  I have been doing wonders re-purposing and repainting to make this space mine!  I am going to do a total reveal of the space late next week, when it is hopefully complete, but I did want to share with you one of the projects that I did, that cost me nothing but a bit of printer ink.  I turned an old picture frame into a whiteboard!

This took all of 20 minutes, and I was super excited about making it! I dug through my basement and found this old picture frame.  I cleaned it up though I didn’t paint the wood.  (You totally could).  If you don’t have an old frame kicking around, check out a consignment shop, or garage sales, seriously, they’re everywhere.  Heck, even ask on Facebook and you’ll likely have a friend who has one or two to get rid of.

picture frame 5

I covered the cardboard that came with the frame with a pretty wrapping paper that I had picked up at Winners.  ( I also used this paper as a table runner for my son’s 8th birthday – you can do a lot with wrapping paper!)

I glued the paper in place with a bit of Aleene’s tacky glue and I folded it around the cardboard (as if to wrap a present).

For the ‘white’ area, I printed out a blank calendar that I found online (google it – you’ll find one you love) I printed it onto photo paper, to give it a bit of a shinier look, and I filled the rest of my white space with photo paper as well.  I threw in the purple paper as an accent, to help it match my room (my room is a very light lilac shade)

Paper3

The decorations are scrapbooking odds and ends that I found.

Tip: Arrange everything before you tape/glue it into place.

Then just assemble the frame as though you were framing a picture.

And hang it up!

picture frame 4

Since you spent next to nothing on your brand new picture frame whiteboard I think it’s only fair that you head to the store and buy yourself some fantastic white board markers!  I did!

47 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 6 Google+ 2 Pin It Share 39 StumbleUpon 0 47 Flares ×

Comments

1. Heidi C. says:

Wow! That’s terrific! It looks like you spent half your budget on it!

2. Stephanie LaPlante says:

This is such a great idea. Especially for forgetful families like mine.

3. You are so crafty, always has lots of ideas and really good ones.

4. I love the idea!!!! You have some amazing talent at coming up with these great (and easy!) crafts!

5. Wanda Bergman says:

What a great idea! I know just the place to hang this, too!

I cannot wait for the ‘big reveal’! Nice DIY!

7. That is a fantastic idea! I love it! Actually prettier than your average white board! Good job!

8. What a great idea! I would never think about using whiteboard markers right on glass. Looks great!

9. Teresa Claire says:

I like this craft. I will show it my daughter to see if she would like to make one together. I have been wanting to make a cushy memory board with ribbon but this looks really fun and the supplies are not pricey at all. Thank you :)

10. Karen Evans says:

What a nice idea! Homemade Crafts are always the best! :)

11. Oh what a great idea, and looks fantastic.

12. How handy!! Nicely done!

13. Now that is a very cool idea. I love it.

14. What a great idea, My daughter would use this in her room

15. Darlene Schuller says:

Now in all honesty this is probably the coolest thing I’ve seen in a long time. What a great idea! Thank you I may take a stab at this one!

16. I am all for repurposing things, you did a great job

17. This is a great idea, I wouldn’t have thought of it.

18. This came out sooo nice!!! I’d love to try this!

19. CrayzforDIY says:

I am finally making mine today!!!!! i found a picture frame at a yard sale ( yes yard sale junkie) I cant wait to get thing organized here in my little apartment and cut down on so much paper and such i hang on my fridge to remind me of important thing!!

Trackbacks

1. […] I have always disliked throwing things away…getting rid of perfectly useful things left me with a huge cloud of guilt over my head.  Even if it was something I don’t need, or something I didn’t use.  At times this proved to be a huge problem…like anytime I moved and had to purge all these things.  Instead of getting rid of them, I would much rather repurpose them!  Brighten them up with a fresh coat of paint (yes, I am that girl who would paint that 50 year old oak cabinet just cause I don’t like the dark stain) or recover that stained dining room seat cover.  I have even picked up a lamp road side and rewired it.  Just because it’s old, doesn’t mean it is useless.  I am especially fond of turning picture frames into useful office items, like this DIY White Board. […]