Wool Dryer Balls

Searching through pinterest the other day I came across Wool Dryer Balls. The claim is that they will reduce drying time of clothes in the dryer thus saving money and you will not need to use fabric softener. The more dryer balls in your dryer the less time it should take to dry your clothes. I am all for more money in my pocket, so I thought I would give it a try. I bought yarn for under $5.00, used about an hour of my time and now I have eight dryer balls.

Dryer Balls

Supplies needed:

* 100% wool yarn

* Scissors

* Pantyhose

To create these Dryer balls you need to:

1) Start to wrap the yarn around your hand about 20 times, you then slide the yard off your hand. Take the yarn and continue to wrap it around the middle about another twenty times. It will look like this:

IMAG1630

IMAG1632

2) Now fold it and start to wrap, wrap it as tight as you can. Keep wrapping around the ball until you have the ball the size you want. Just remember that the balls will shrink  over time.

3) Once the ball is the size you want, finish it off by sliding the end  of your yarn under a piece somewhere in the ball.

4) The next step is to put your wool balls into the leg of pantyhose. This is where I messed up and ended up having to redo all my balls. When you put them in the pantyhose, put them in one at a time, pull the pantyhose tight, and tie a piece of embroidery floss around it. It will look like this:

IMAG1703

5) The next step is to felt them. To do this you put them into the hottest water possible, I boiled water and set mine in it for awhile. Then you need to put them into the dryer on the highest heat. The final step is to take them out of the pantyhose. They will felt more as you use them.

Good Luck!

63 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 6 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 57 StumbleUpon 0 63 Flares ×

Comments

1. Love wool dryer balls they work so well for me.

2. Sabrina T says:

I can’t wait to hear your findings. Woolzies seem to be very popular, but if I can make my own at a lesser cost then I’m all for it.

3. I have been eyeing dryer balls for awhile – curious to know how they worked?

Omgosh, I am making these this weekend! lol Who knew it was so easy? Thanks very much for this!

5. Laurie B says:

What a great money saving idea. I have also seen them online but wasn’t willing to pay money for something I was not sure of. I am willing to try this for sure. Thanks for sharing.

6. I love dryer balls! I never realized make them or how simple it is.. Thank you for this post.

7. I’ve been hearing about these and have been wanting to try them. I can’t believe how easy they are to make! Thanks for sharing :)

8. This is a great way to save money and time! So easy to make

9. That’s pretty cool, I’ll definitely try this!

10. Thanks for sharing this! I love wool dryer balls :)

11. Jennifer A. says:

I’ve never tried the dryer balls but would definitely give that a try!

12. Robyn L says:

have never tried Dryer Balls but hear they work good; thanks for
    telling us how to make them.

I’ve heard a lot about them, and would definitely be more for making my own to try before buying them. If you try these yourself, please post and update!

14. Stephanie LaPlante says:

Interesting! I would’ve never thought of that.

15. so excited to find this! i’ve wanted to use them for a while now and figured they must be pretty easy to make!

16. I’m going to have to try this! What a cool idea.

17. That is a great idea. Never even occurred to me to make my own wool dryer balls. I’ve heard amazing things about using dryer balls. The only time I put anything into the dryer is when I want to dry down and I put in 2 tennis balls.

18. Kevin Ross says:

I like this idea… especially if it saves a bit of money !!! Thanks !

19. Lori L. - @Miss_Elles says:

I bought 8 wool dryer balls online & they cost me over $60 with shipping! Should have tried to make them, doh.

20. I love money saving tips. Since, they installed the new digital hydro meter to my home, I can see the hydro usage daily if I log into my hydro account. It is amazing how much energy thus money you save doing things like the wool-dryer ball.

21. Thank you! I was wondering how to make these!

22. Didn’t realize you could make these yourself; need to try this.

23. Elizabeth Matthiesen says:

I’ve seen these a lot on the web and have fancied trying them but never got around to buying them – I’m really chuffed about this post, now I can make my own which is an awful lot cheaper. Thank you so much. :-)

24. Cheryl Grandy says:

Thank you so much for telling us how to make our own dryer balls. I’d like to try them.

25. Cheryl Grandy says:

I didn’t know these could be made at home. Thanks for the instructions.