How To Make A Hidden Recipe Board

A few weeks ago I wanted to make Banana Bread.  I had about 9 frozen bananas sitting in my freezer just waiting to be turned into our family favourite.  I went into the drawer to look for my mother-in-laws delicious recipe, and low and behold – it wasn’t there… I went from drawer to drawer to drawer…hunting for the 3.5 X 5 index card that holds the secrets to our families Banana Bread.  I couldn’t find it…anywhere.  I called my mother-in-law, and she couldn’t find it either… this was not going well.

I made another recipe..and it didn’t do the trick – it wasn’t the banana bread that we are used to – I ended up throwing most of it into the compost.  A sad ending, but it sent me in the direction to create this:

I wanted a place where I could stick those loved recipes…the ones I use regularly…and I know you’re likely thinking what’s wrong with a cook book?  Or a recipe box.. or just publishing them on your blog then you’ll always have them…we’ll, those are all wonderful options…but I wanted something more (and I am slowly publishing most of them).  I wanted to be creative.

So I hit Pinterest with search terms for Cupboard Cork Board and I was immediately drawn to this post from Echos Of Laughter.   I chatted with her a little about the project and off I went to our local dollar store.

It took all of 20 minutes and I had this fantastic Recipe Cork Board hiding in my cupboard!

Cork Board

How To Make A Cupboard Recipe Board

Supplies

• 2 – 12X12 inch sheets of cork board (At Dollarama they come in a two pack for $2)
  • 1 pkg – Scotch double-sided adhesive squares.  (White school glue works as well as per Angie’s instructions but since I don’t own my house, I stuck with the adhesive squares)
  • 1 pkg – recipe cards
  • 1 pkg – thumb tacks or push pins
  • Decorations.

Instructions

1. Wipe the inside door of your cupboard to ensure it is clean and dry.
  2. Clear off your kitchen counter space to give you room to work.  Arrange your cork board in the shape you want to create.
  3. Adhere the double-sided adhesives to the wrong side of the cork board.  I put one in each corner of each cork board (I used two cork boards) and on in the middle of each piece of cork.
  4. Find the center of your cupboard.  You can use a straight edge to go from corner to corner diagonally creating an X.  The center point of the X will be the center of your cupboard.
  5. Adhere the first piece of cork to the top half of your cupboard, starting at the X you created finding the centre.  (The bottom side of the cork should run horizontally through the X.)
  6. Make sure your cork is straight, use a level.
  7. Line up the second piece of cork to the first one.  Edge to edge.
  8. Put pressure on all of the adhesive squares, to ensure they stick to the cupboard
  9. Use craft paper, stickers, push-pins and recipe cards to decorate!

51 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 10 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 41 StumbleUpon 0 51 Flares ×

Comments

1. What a great idea.. might just put one in my new house!

2. This is a great idea. I love how it hides the clutter for visitors and guests.

3. Love the idea of the board! I misplace recipes all the time.
    Quick question..do you find with frozen banana’s that it gets too watery for the recipe?

4. I love how this is hidden; I looked at one that slides out from under the cupboard but like this much better. Great DIY project!

5. this looks great – and something I think I will do. I hate having to grab the book or computer everytime I make a few of my well loved recipes!

6. Laurie B says:

Such a great idea. I am going to do one for recipes and one by the phone in a cupboard for those times when you just jot down a number quickly or a note. Thanks for the great idea.

7. What a GREAT idea! This would be perfect for phone numbers, etc!

Thanks so much for the great idea!

This is very cool and so helpful!

Thanks so much for this; I’m going to give it a try soon!

9. Great idea! May have to use this for my kitchen. I’ll be sure to give you all the credit.

I love using corkboard for crafts! It’s SO versatile, and can easily be painted to change the look.

11. Stephanie LaPlante says:

That’s a great idea. Especially for those family “secret” recipes that posting online would be a sin.

12. That is an awesome idea!! I’ve been stuffing my recipes into a folder and seem to always pull out the same ones and they get dirty since all the ingredients always splashes on them. Will have to find room to fit this into our kitchen.

13. Crystal Englot says:

What a fantastic idea and super easy to do! Something I will be adding to my kitchen for sure!

14. Looks really nice, I like your web name on top.

15. good idea!

16. Kevin R says:

Great idea !

17. I love this idea! I’m always losing my recipes and having to either use a different one or try to recreate what I want from memory… which never comes out quite right. This is a great affordable CUTE solution. :)

18. Chandra Christine O'Connor says:

great Idea I am also always hunting for recipes and having my friend keep rewriting them out for me that were from her.

19. LOVE THIS IDEA!!! Thank you!

20. Elizabeth Matthiesen says:

this is a really cute idea for those recipes that are in constant use. I must pass this tip on to my son & daughter-in-law. They are for ever searching for a favourite recipe amongst hundreds of others!

21. What a great idea, I am always searching for my favorite recipes.

22. Lynda Cook says:

I love this idea, right now I have everything taped to the inside of my cupboards and it’s not very nice looking at all, at least this is nice and clean looking!!

23. kathy downey says:

Love the idea of the board,I am always using the same recipes over and over be nice to find easily

24. looks like a great idea

25. naiddia p says:

Thanks for sharing!

What a great idea. I am going to do this!

27. kathy downey says:

Thanks this is one of the best ideas ever

28. Josephine evans says:

Super cute! I love the idea!!

29. mommy.of.2.babygirls2014 says:

That is a spelded idea. Absolutely smart and creative. I may just have to try that my self. :)

30. Theresa C. says:

Weird! I had the same experience looking for our family banana bread recipe just recently – lol.

31. great idea.. I could so use this!

32. Linda Fast says:

I have a recipe board in my kitchen similar to yours. The difference being that mine has magnets attatched to the back and it hangs on the side of my fridge which is next to the counter. It is almost out of sight unless you really look at whats hanging on the side of my fridge.

33. Debbie W says:

This is a better idea than my junk drawer and the recipe cards thrown in there