Tips on How To Save For Disney – Week 1

Saving For Disney

So it is week one in my goal for the year.  We’re two days in and I’m off to a decent start.  Obviously my goal is to save enough money for my family of 4 to go to Disney World in early 2014.  The total that I have decided that I need is $6000.  I know – that sound like (and is) a lot of money for 1 week of fun, but for what I want out of our trip, it is worth it.

I have spent a few hours on Disneyparks.ca, going to rates and packages…deciding what it is that we truly want out of our vacation and this is what I have come up with.

• We want to stay on site for 6 nights
  • We want 5 or 6 days at Disney – we may spend one day elsewhere
  • We do not want to rent a car.
  • We do not need hopper passes (hopper passes allow you to go from one park to another in the same day)
  • We do want a meal plan
  • We do want to do at least one Character Meal (These are included in the meal plans)
  • We do want to have extra spending money for Pin Trading and souvenirs

So this is what I have priced out:

I used the 2nd week of April 2013 for my prices.  Though I will not be going until 2014, it is too early to price the true dates.

• Disney’s Art of Animation Value Resort (Little Mermaid Standard Room)
  • 6 day Magic Your Way passes
  • Magic Your Way Package Plus Dining

Total price before taxes $2902.42

When you take that, add flights ( we may drive to save money)  and spending money I come up with $6000 as my safe number.  If I have that – we can go.

Tips on how to Save For Disney:

1.  Join the Disney Insiders… It’s free, and you get all the fantastic offers sent directly to your inbox.  Throughout the year Disney will add on free meal plans, or put out special package offers. It’s worth it to get those emails, and it helps keep you on track and excited for the end goal.

2. Figure out how much you will need.  Like I have above.  Then break it down into smaller increments.  I use daily goals!  Smaller numbers are not as scary.  I need $17.00 for 365 days.  Now, I know that I wont be able to take $17 and put it in a jar every single day. But I will TRY to.  At the end of the week, I’ll see what else I can come up with to make that weekly goal of $119…and at the end of the month I’ll see what else I can scrounge to make the monthly goal of $476 (every 4 weeks).  Smaller numbers make things easier.

3.  Decide to change how you spend your money.  If you truly want this to happen (or what ever else you may be saving for) and you cannot afford to take it out of your every day budget (I cannot…I have to FIND this money) think before you spend.  Bring drinks from home instead of buying them when you’re out (put the money you would normally spend in your savings) Take time to use coupons during grocery shopping.  Make sure all the lights are off in rooms that no one is in.  Simple little changes that will help you reach your goal.

4.  Pick a coin – any coin – and when ever you get that coin in your hand, put it in your Disney Jar.  (Mine is the dime – so small but they add up so quickly!)

It can happen, even on a mediocre income… if you commit to it.

Be sure to come back next Wednesday for an update on our families #SavingForDisney, and more tips on how you too can make your Disney Dream come true.

Comments

1. I wish you much luck and I can’t wait to follow your year long journey!

2. I cannot wait to take my kids. 2 more years. Maybe I should start saving too. EEEK. I will miss my wine fund.

3. Brianne Hager says:

We went to Disney World for the first time this last April and we want to go back. We are planning a trip for January 2015 and I will be following your Disney posts for all the help and ideas I can get for saving the money.

4. Leah Leitch says:

It’s amazing how much is spent at “pit stops” on the road. Bringing snacks and drinks is a great idea.

5. What a great goal!! We went to disney world last year in May and the most amazing time. I wish I had this series of article to read before our trip. Will definitely be bookmarking all your posts because I want to go agaiN!!

6. Great tips!

7. I love the idea of choosing a coin to save!

8. Angela Mitchell says:

Good luck on reaching your goal! I have never been to Disney World but I have been to Disneyland 9 times (I live in BC so it is cheaper to go to Disneyland). We have always found a number of ways to keep the costs down on a Disneyland trip: Going in the “off-season”, waiting for a seat sale, and staying off-site rather than at a Disney Resort can save you loads of money. (I’ve heard that at Disney World it is way more convenient to stay on-site though.)
    I look forward to hearing more:)

9. These are some great tips for saving. I especially like the idea of picking a coin and saving it whenever you get one.

10. Cheyenne P says:

Sounds like you have this plan well thought out! I look forward to watching your progress :D

11. Good Luck with your goal! I wouldn’t be surprised if you surpass your goal. I love how detailed your plan is and exactly what you want and how much it’ll cost.

12. Your April 2013 priced out package sounds so affordable. I thought a week onsite for a family would be more, but the last time I went to Disneyland was in the 80’s so I have no clue!

13. Kierra McCaffrey says:

This is a wonderful idea!

14. I have heard that you can redeem Airmiles (blue card) for park passes. Have you ever checked into that?

15. this is great i really would love to go to disney world now i know how to save for it :)

16. Great start for all of us!

17. Laura Jacobson says:

Oh neat ideas! I love the pick a coin idea! I am going to join the Disney Insiders! Sounds like a great way to stay up on some great deals!

18. Cathy Canton says:

I have gone to Disney many times and end of April prices start to go done and you can really sav, but the end of August is the cheapest time to go for the hotels and parks and most importantly for years now the meal plan has been free during this time. Also found beooking directly through Disney meant that I could cancel up to last minute.

Great tips!! Good luck :)

20. great idea, just starting to read your Disney saving series

21. Cheryl (@loucheryl) says:

Good luck with your journey to Disney! At least you know what you want and don’t want. That’s a great list.