Spa In A Jar

Who doesn’t love a trip to the spa? An hour or two of peace and quiet, a great foot rub or facial? Heaven. However… If you have a schedule like I do, spa trips are few and far between. Not to mention, they can be pricey. But we all deserve a little pampering once in awhile, right?

That’s why this fun gift is the perfect treat for the busy mom (dad, sister, aunt, teacher…) on your Christmas list this season. Easy, affordable and fun!!

What you need is some Mason Jars, you can get a case of twelve for between $6.50 and $8.00. For this project I find the large ones work the best, the 500ml jars. You could also save and clean out jars from around the house (pickles or jam, for example). Then you need to collect some travel size toiletries that you think the person would enjoy, or if you are me, you pick them out because they are cute!!

Some great ideas are;

Shampoo, Conditioner, Body wash,  Bubble bath, Exfoliator,  Body spray, Shower gel, Body lotion, Nail polish and Polish remover.

And then choose some accessories, like:

Cotton balls, Q-tips, Shower puff and Nail file.

Once you have a cute collection of minis, as cutely as possible, load them in the jar!!! As much as you can squeeze in without looking messy!!!

It will look cute enough just like this to give as a gift, or, if you are anything like me, you will want to take it up a notch, or two… Perhaps three.

I chose to keep the decorating to the lid, as to ensure all the goodies could clearly be seen. I separated the two pieces of the lid. Then I decided on painting the ring shaped piece, using Martha Stewart craft paint ($3.49) and Modge Podging the disc shaped piece with some co-ordinating craft paper scraps. Once both pieces were completely dry, I put them together and sealed up the jar.

Just because I like to go a bit overboard (the main reason I try to avoid glitter, it’s a curse really) I went ahead and made a cute label as well. Instead of buying pricey chipboard cut outs from the craft supply stores, I recycle old cereal boxes, granola bar boxes, any box made from lightweight cardboard. I drew out a shape, cut it out and covered it with some more of the scrap paper.
Then I labeled it Spa in a Jar and tied it on with a pretty matching ribbon.

I was soooo happy with how the project turned out! It was simple, creative and so much fun to put together. I just know the girls on my Christmas list will love opening these on Christmas Day!

You could put your own spin on any gift in a jar. My oldest son thought that making one for his teacher would be a great idea, with pens and pencils, some snacks, ear plugs ( this one made me laugh), a homemade bookmark and some other trinkets personal to your child’s teacher. You could do one for just about anyone on your list, just personalize it accordingly!!!

Yours Relaxingly,
Natalee Poll

My name is Natalee, I am a stay at home mom of two active boys, Keghan and Finn and wife to Eric, a paramedic and volunteer firefighter.
Keghan is a crazy haired ten year old whose life consists of hockey, hockey, Pokemon, hockey, Lego. Finn is a on the go three year old whose life consists of Keghan, hockey, Keghan, Pokemon, Lego.
Between hockey practice, games, hubby’s shift work and sheer insanity I LOVE creating. I do a little bit of everything…. Painting (oil, acrylics, water colour), wood craft, card making, scrapbooking, cupcake making, photography…. You name it, I have tried it.
Spending time with my family doing out of the norm and creative things is my passion!!!

174 Flares Twitter 25 Facebook 17 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 132 StumbleUpon 0 174 Flares ×

Comments

1. So cute. I should make one for my Mom full of chocolates.

2. I LOVE this idea. Practical yet so chic. I’m so doing this.

3. Great idea especially for your girlfriends!

4. will save this for birthdays

5. I made some homemade face scrubs and sugar rubs and decorated the jars for Christmas gifts this year. Will be doing some of these next year! Great idea!

6. Great idea, thanks for sharing!

7. cathy henatyszen says:

this is a great easy gift idea… thanks for sharing

8. like this idea

9. Great Idea ..would be a great gift for My daughters friends they like to have spas day at our house

10. I always have a drawer full of travel size toiletries. Nice gift idea.

11. Such a great idea. Perfect for gifts, or loot bags. I have seen them with mixes (cookies, brownies etc.. but nothing like this for sure :) Thanks for the great idea.

12. Dawn Reid says:

What a great idea. I love it
    mightynaynay(at)cs.com

13. Stacey Roberson says:

What a perfect gift idea! …and inexpensive, too.

14. What a nice and simple idea! I have drawers full of this stuff that I hadn’t thought about regifting, but with this beautiful presentation I have some girlfriends who would enjoy a little present like this.

15. Rhonda W G. says:

Wonderful gift idea. I have in the past sent friends facial packs in a card as a surprise in Winter as a pick-me-up but this is an idea I’m going to keep tucked away! Thankyou.

16. Cheyenne P says:

Yet another fun and practical project! I can think of quite a few of my friends/family that would very much enjoy this! Thank you so much for the idea!

You do amazing crafts! This Spa in a Jar is my favourite so far! Thanks!

18. Brenda Penton says:

This is a great idea! Perfect for all of the samples I get in the mail and in my beauty boxes that won’t use.

I love love love this idea, it’s so perfect!!

20. Belinda McNabb says:

What a cute idea. I have so many items that I have bought on sale and with coupons so they ended up costing almost nothing. Making something like this and turning those finds into gifts for friends and family this way is a great idea. Thanks

21. What a cute idea! This would be perfect for a shower as gifts for the games!

22. Sabrina T says:

Fantastic idea, this is something I can get the little one in on and she can put input in as to what should go in the jar for select people :)

23. Great idea!

24. SUMMER PLEWES says:

VERY CUTE CRAFT . I think I know who to give this to at christmas next year.

25. Fun idea! I have always liked giving and getting gifts that are a mix of a whole bunch of little useful things.

26. this is so cool i would love to make these

27. What a great gift idea. Perfect for loot bags with the older girls!

28. i love this. this is such a cool idea.

29. Lori Bazan says:

This is ultra creative and simple enough that I am motivated to make this gift for my sister for Valentines surprise!

30. Cute, and easy. Tucking this away in my brain for later…

31. Wow, I love this idea!! :)

32. great idead like the name too

33. Cheryl (@loucheryl) says:

What a cool idea! My son wants to make one for his friend at school!

34. julie_bolduc says:

this is a very cool idea

35. I love this idea.. If would make a great gift.

36. Cheryl (@loucheryl) says:

This was such an awesome idea I passed on the info to my sister and she LOVED it! She’s going to make one too.

37. Aimee R says:

This is a great idea :) I love it. Will have to make one myself.

38. Holly D says:

This is really cute! I never know what to get for my Mother in Law. She pretty much gives away anything you get her, unless it’s a gift card to a restaurant. But now she doesn’t leave the house much due to arthritis, so those gift cards aren’t the best idea anymore. She’d love this!! And with her birthday coming up, I think I finally found something she won’t give away, and even better it will have a personal touch. Love it!

39. super cute! i like this instead of the standard basket!

40. Teresa Claire says:

A really wonderful creative post! My daughter’s birthday is coming up and she loves this type of thing. I have an animal shaped glass jar and all kinds of samples that I can add to it. One great big bow and tag…perfect little gift for my daughter. Thank you!