Toast or Bagel, How Do You Start Your Mornings?

I’m not much of a breakfast person, I know it IS the most important meal of the day… I’m just not overly hungry at 6 am, nor am I actually out of bed unless I have an early flight.  But beginning this September, 6am is my new wake up time, which means I’m going to be starving LONG before lunch time. (On a side note, who thought it was a good idea to begin elementary classes at 7:45 am??)  I guess it’s time for me to start eating breakfast.

When I was in highschool, I always went to school hungry.  Not because breakfast wasn’t there for me each morning, our cupboards were always well stocked…but because our cafeteria carried one of my very favourite foods…bagels.  My two favorite flavours?  Cinnamon Raisin and Everything.  I love them both equally, but in totally different ways.

In high school I fell in LOVE with Cinnamon Raisin bagels toasted and covered in cheese whiz.  I ate them every single morning.  My lunch money went to breakfast, come lunch time I was cashless and hungry…but I still did it everyday.  If by chance a day came that they were out of bagels, my whole day was out of whack.

For a long time, I had forgotten about this love….misplaced somewhere in the back of my brain until about 10 years later when I noticed Dempster’s Cinnamon Raisin bagels while shopping.  Immediately I threw them in the cart, grabbed a bottle of cheese whiz and smiled through the rest of my trip.   I have now passed that favorite food on to my eldest.  If you ever see us fighting over a bagel….you can safely guess it was the last one…and we don’t want to share.

My second favorite as I mentioned above is Everything Bagels.  Toasted well and smothered in REAL butter, or mashed banana… My mouth is watering just thinking about them.   But, you know what…there is more that you can put on your bagel than just butter.

Apple Cheddar Bagel by Dempsters

Like this Apple Cheddar recipe…pairing apples and cheese may sound a little different, kind of like peanut butter and banana’s…it really is so very yummy.  Click here to see the full Apple Cheddar Bagel Recipe.

How creative do you get with your bagels?

Dempster’s carries a variety of different flavours of bagels; Plain, Sesame, 100% Whole Wheat, 12 Grain, Everything, Cinnamon Raisin and Blueberry.  They are made from 100% Canadian wheat and real fruit and spice.  If you would like to find out more about Dempster’s Bagels and more yummy recipes like the one I mentioned above, just check out Dempsters.ca.

If you are on Facebook or Twitter,  you can give them a like or a follow too!  Quite often they are sharing coupons and special offers!  Dempster’s, in my books, is a must follow!

I have a $50 prepaid Visa card to help you stock up on all those bagels you’ll be packing in your kids lunch box soon.  To enter, just follow the instructions in the form below!  Open to Canadian residents only please.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

77 Flares Twitter 67 Facebook 10 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 StumbleUpon 0 77 Flares ×

Comments

1. Butter or cream cheese or both!

2. I like butter on my bagels. Our family fave is Dempsters Sesame. Yum!

3. Isabelle Simard says:

Straight butter ;)

4. Karina Lee says:

green olive cream cheese is my favorite topping! i know it sounds weird, but it’s soooo yummy!!

5. Herbed cream cheese – and lots of it!

6. Don’t use twitter ;-(

7. Sometimes I will just eat the bagel with margarine. Other times I will make bagel egg sandwiches for my family. This consists of a toasted bagel a chees slice and a cooked egg! It’s my version of a cheap Tim horton’s bagel sandwich!

8. We love garden vegetable cream cheese on our bagles!!
    yummy :)

I love butter on a toasted sesame bagel! Yumm

10. Cream cheese :)

11. I love cinnamon raisin bagels with peanut butter and apple slices. So GOOD!!

12. cream cheese

13. Melanie Brown says:

Strawberry cream cheese! yum!!!

14. I like my bagel lightly toasted with butter.

15. Thick layer of cream cheese..did I say thick? :P

16. MOnica Clarkson says:

I love my morning bagel. Egg and cheese, or cream cheese ( Philly )

17. Favorite is just plain cream cheese.

18. Just plain ol’ buttery goodness! Yum!

19. Just a little Margarine. I love it when the bagel is hot and the margarine just melts on it…..so good:)

20. Cynthia McAllister says:

I like my bagels toasted and plain! Dempsters Everything bagels are my favourite…yum!! :)

21. I’m a margarine gal :)

22. emma walpole says:

I love a bagel toasted, butter, cheddar cheese and bacon! Reminds me of high school

23. Most often just butter but sometimes I add a slice or two of cheddar cheese.mmmm

24. Just butter. I also like making a breakfast sandwich with egg, cheese, onion and bacon – soo good!

25. Margarine with cinnamon is good on bagels

silverneon2000 at yahoo dot com

26. I add plain cream cheese and some tomatoes

27. Gotta have a little cream cheese on mine!

28. I like strawberry cream cheese on sweet bagels, and sprouts, plain cream cheese, and tomatoes on regular bagels.

29. Karla Sceviour says:

Plain cream cheese is my favorite bagel topping.

ksceviour at hotmail dot com

30. cheese and tomato

31. Depending on the bagel flavour, cream cheese or butter.
    rafflecopter name: Lisa K

32. Doris Calvert says:

I like Phili cream cheese & cucumber, so good

33. I like plain bagels with cream cheese

34. I like sesame bagels with butter and cream cheese!

35. I like both butter and cream cheese on my bagel

36. tracy jodrie says:

blueberry bagel with strawberry cream cheese.yummy

37. Most mornings I find that I don’t have the time to sit down to a sensible breakfast before I race out the door . So, instead, I often grab a healthy, hand-held meal to go. And more often than not, this takes the form of a toasted bagel. Sometimes with cream cheese, sometimes with veggies, sometimes with a fried egg, or maybe just butter if I’m really running late. I love my bagels. But not the hard, doughy ones.Did you know that February 9 was National Bagel Day? I think I tweeted it three or four times :) I celebrated that morning with a toasted cinnamon raisin & cream cheese, I believe. Meanwhile, Dempster’s celebrated the occasion with the launch of their new bagel formulation.

38. Brenda Penton says:

Margarine on most days but occasionally use cream cheese.

39. I like butter than herb and garlic cream cheese on mine!

40. Belinda McNabb says:

I like herb and garlic cream cheese on mine

41. Herb and garlic cream cheese is my favorite on bagels!
    dalleykt at live dot ca

42. My favourite bagel topping is cream cheese.

43. Cream cheese is my fave for sure!

44. Carley L. says:

My favourite bagel topping is peanut butter. Sometimes I like to get adventurous and add a sliced banana and honey. It tastes amazing.

45. Cheese and jam is my favourite!

46. I make toasted BLT’s on my bagels! Lots of Mayo is the trick :)

47. I like blueberry bagels toasted with cream cheese!

48. Kerrie Mayans says:

I like pineapple flavored cream cheese on mine.

kerrie@mayansfamily.com

49. Lisa Marie Anctil says:

My absolute favourite bagel topping is light cream cheese with delicious smoked salmon and capers on top! AHH! I just might have to go make one now! Everybody needs to try this! Seriously, you can thank me later! :D

50. Lisa Neutel says:

I love herb and garlic cream cheese on my bagels

51. Bernadette Barter says:

Vegemite with Jarlsberg cheese and onion…mmmmmmm good

52. Rosemary Berndt says:

Cinnamon bagel with cream cheese.

53. nathalie fortier says:

My favorite topping on bagels is the classic philly cheese.

54. A thick dollop of cream cheese for me.

55. I love home made garlic and herb cream cheese on my “everything” bagels

56. Christina says:

My family l-oves bagels toasted with cream cheese and jam…yummmmmy!

57. I am more of a butter kinda gal….not feeling too edgy at 5:30am….which is wake-up time at my house.

58. i use just butter on mine :)

59. Cheri Gallant says:

I love them with just butter YUMMY!

60. PATRICIA HUSON says:

Herb and garlic creamed cheese

61. Cream cheese & fruit something quick something healthy on a multi grain bagel.

62. I love raisin bagels w peanut butter yum yum

63. Haylie Langwald says:

Strawberry cream cheese, I’m not so exciting lol

64. I love my bagel with margarine and peanut butter – delicious!

65. I usually prefer plain old butter. Okay, maybe salted butter. I know, I’m such a rebel.

66. Peanut butter

67. Nancy Glenville says:

Butter on a toasted everything bagel Yum. Just wish they had bagels in my cafe when I was in school

68. I like to keep mine simple – so its just butter for me!

69. Kim Lafreniere says:

I have always loved peanut butter on my bagels !!!

70. Butter!

71. Daniel Mulder says:

i put cream chesse on my bagels! Yum!

72. totally enjoy Raisen and just plain butter with it…

73. I love cream cheese and peanut butter on cinnamon raisin bagels

74. Sandra Wallace says:

MY ULTIMATE TREAT IS MULTIGRAIN BAGEL, PLAIN CREAM CHEESE, SMOKED SALMON, CAPERS AND FRESH DILL. SOMETIMES WE JUST HAVE SALMON CREAM CHEESE AND FRESH DILL. I ALSO LIKE PLAIN CREAM CHEESE, SLICED GARDEN TOMATOES AND FRESH BASIL OR DILL. ON MY CINNAMON RAISIN I LIKE BUTTER. ANOTHER FAVOURITE IS EGG MC MUFFIN; FRIED EGG, SLICES OF REAL CHEDDAR CHEESE AND CRUNCHY BACON. OH I LUV MY DEMPSTER’S BAGELS!

75. Susan Waddilove says:

I Love Demsters Bagels in the Morning, gotta have breakfast the most important meal of the day!!!

76. I like traditional cream cheese on both of my favorites – Cinnamon Raisin and Everything as well!! Although peanut butter is also good on Cinnmon Raisin – who would have thought!!

77. plain or cheese bagels with butter and herb and garlic cream cheese

78. heather holmberg says:

I love butter on my bagel in the mornings. Occasionally I will use some dill cream cheese, but my favourite bagel is with egg and bacon !

79. Love bagels! They’re great lightly grilled with butter, (cheese optional).

80. Butter or nothing

81. Margarine on a toasted bagel or cream cheese (usually a garlic and herb one) on a plain bagel! Yummy!

82. I also love olive cream cheese, or just toasted with margarine.

83. Bagels!!!!!!

84. Love bagels, grilled with a little butter.

85. Toasted with organic peanut butter. Mmmmm

86. Mandy Veal says:

Cream Cheese and sliced strawberries.

87. Toasted with peanut butter and a glass of oj or five alive

88. My favourite bagel is either a plain bagel with peanut butter, chopped bananas and a sprinkle of honey, or a plain chocolate chip bagel covered in real butter.

89. Melissa C says:

Cream cheese!

90. Mandy Veal says:

Garlic buttered herbs and dill pickle on the side.

91. Jarlsberg cheese toasted on the bagel, add sliced pear when done. Top with black pepper mmmmmyummy :)

92. Marie Veal says:

Chocolate Nutella spread!

93. I like plain cream cheese on mine.

94. I like sharp cheddar on my bagels

95. I love to have a onion bagel with grated cheese and my favorite pizza toppings cooked in the oven until cheese melts so good

96. I love butter and cream cheese!!!!

97. Bagels are not just for breakfast anymore. I have introduced my grandson to bagels and his favourite is a “lunch bagel” a toasted, buttered everything bagel with cheddar cheese and any sliced meat we have available, light mustard and mayo of course. Keeps great for lunch hours at school in a sealed container – seal after it’s cooled.

98. Love the cinnamon bagel with cheese, yummy!

99. almond butter!

100. Beth Arthurton says:

Love the apple and cheese idea – Philadephia cream cheese is top on my list for my two favourite bagels: Cinnamon Raisin and Everything!! Great minds think alike Jen!

101. Butter and herb and garlic cream cheese! So good

102. my eldest son loves cheeze whiz and peanut butter mixed together. what can i say, he’s a strange kid :)

103. Favorite topping is peanut butter

104. The BEST is a toasted plain bagel with peach melba cream cheese and sliced strawberries!! YUM

105. My very favourite is a toasted BLT bagel. I always buy bagels the day I pick up some goodies from the farmer’s market so it’s as fresh as can be. It’s the best!

106. I love garlic and herb cream cheese
    thanks

107. Andrew McArthur says:

My fav is raisin cinnamon loaded with chrunchy peanutbutter.

108. Kelly Bouma says:

herb and garlic cream cheese on everything bagel, yummy

109. Donna Barkhouse says:

I love a sweet cream cheese spread on my bagels. Delicious!!!

110. I love cream cheese on my bagels!

111. I love apple butter on cinnamon raisin bagels.

112. jennifer bowen says:

i love butter and cream chesse on cinnamomn bagels

113. Cinnamon Raisin Bagel slathered with cream cheese is a guilty pleasure!

114. Butter and cheddar cheese, or cream cheese! I love all types of bagels except the poppy seed :(

115. Nora Edmiston Harlos says:

margerine

116. Plain old cream cheese anytime!! :)

117. Alicja Stys says:

My fav is raisin cinnamon bagels toasted with butter.

118. A cinnamon raisin bagel with light strawberry cream cheese topping. Yuuuuuuuummmmm.

119. cream cheese and strawberries on my bagels

120. thewellhunt says:

I like mine toasted, buttered, and then sprinkled with cinnamon.

121. Anastasia says:

bagel with cream cheese

122. I love toasted bagels with butter and cream cheese.

123. Elizabeth V says:

My fave is an Everything Bagel, toasted with cream cheese.

124. Butter & Canadian Cheddar

125. I love frying up an egg with cheese and putting that on a toasted everything bagel…best breakfast!

126. light cream cheese

127. Butter for me!

128. Peanut butter and Nutella…yummy treat!

129. Herb and garlic cream cheese tops my bagel.

130. Roasted Garlic cream cheese is great!

131. i LOVE garlic and herb creamcheese on my bagels! YUMM!

132. Cinnamon raisin bagel with peanut butter

133. Cream cheese + jam.

134. Love all the bagels with margarine and any kind of cream cheese

135. Pretty basic. A plain bagel toasted with cream cheese.

136. good old fashioned butter :) and toasted of course

137. I have toast but this reminds me we have some bagels in the freezer I should eat!

138. Toast is easier for me so that’s generally how I start my day :)